Christianity Must Become Our Passion

After being on this earth for seventy years and having observed the growing trend of spiritual lethargy in the Lord's church over the past sixty years, I have come away fully believing that Christianity "must become our passion not simply a passing fancy or hobby that is reserved for only two days a week.

The prophet Jeremiah fully believed that our walk with the Lord must be surrounded by passion when he emphatically stated in Jeremiah 20:7-9:
"O Lord, You induced me, and I was persuaded; You are stronger than I, and have prevailed. I am in derision daily; Everyone mocks me. For when I spoke, I cried out; I shouted "Violence and plunder!" Because the word of the Lord was made to me a reproach and a derision daily. Then I said, "I will not make mention of Him, nor speak anymore in His name." But His word was in my heart like a burning fire shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back and I could not."
Even though Jeremiah was constantly under fire for proclaiming God's word (Jeremiah 20:7-8,10), he fully understood what the outcome would be (Jeremiah 20:11-13), and thus kept on preaching and teaching God's word, no matter what the circumstance (cf. Acts 4:1-20; Acts 5:17-29). 

Beloved, when we have the passion of Jeremiah, the passion of the apostles, and the passion displayed by those martyrs listed in Hebrews 11:32-40, we won't have to be prodded to assemble with the saints.

We won't have to be prodded to go teach the word to a lost and dying world (Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15-16). We won'd have to be prodded to give to those in need (2 Corinthians 8). We won't have to be prodded to send out and support missionary efforts (Acts 16:7-10).

When we become passionate about our Christianity like Jeremiah of old, the Lord's work will become an all consuming fire the most important thing in our lives (Matthew 6:33; cf. Matthew 6:21; Luke 2:49). All other worldly things that we once deemed important, will suddenly disappear into insignificance (cf. Philippians 3:4-10).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments