Are We Just A Nobody? Guess Again!

We often hear people say things like: “I’m just a housewife,” or “I’m just a custodian,” or “I’m just a shoe salesman.”

Underestimating one’s usefulness to God is nothing new. In Old Testament times, for example, when God looked for someone to conquer the troublesome Midianites, He chose unimpressive Gideon, calling him a “mighty man of valor” (Judges 6:12).

Gideon responded, “O my Lord, how can I save Israel? Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house” (Judges 6:15). But God persisted, saying, “Have I not sent you? …. Surely I will be with you” (Judges 6:14-16).

Gideon became God’s man for the task, because there’s no such thing as a “nobody” in His eyes (cf. Matthew 10:29-31; Matthew 16:26). The Lord gave Gideon just 300 men to help him, rather than thousands (Judges 7:1-7), so that God alone would receive the glory.

The apostle Paul also taught that God chooses and uses things that the world calls foolish, weak, lowly, and despised. He shames the wise and the mighty so “that no flesh should glory in His presence” (1 Corinthians 1:29).

If we ever feel that we’re “just a nobody,” let’s review God’s call to Gideon. The Lord wants to use us more than we ever thought possible.

Let’s remember that God uses ordinary people to carry out His extraordinary plan (Matthew 4:17-20; cf. Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Related Article:

Comments