How Do We Respond To Adversity?

Temperament varies from individual to individual. Some of us have upbeat dispositions, while others exhibit very negative ones. Yet how we respond to life’s trials also affects our overall disposition.

For example, Fanny Crosby lost her sight when she was only 6 weeks old. She lived into her nineties, composing thousands of beloved hymns. On her 92nd birthday she cheerfully said, “If in all the world you can find a happier person than I am, do bring him to me. I should like to shake his hand.”

What enabled Fanny Crosby to experience such joy in the face of what many would term a “tragedy”? At an early age she chose to “rejoice in the Lord always” (Philippians 4:4). In fact, Fanny carried out a resolution she made when she was only 8 years old: “How many blessings I enjoy that other people don’t. To weep and sigh because I’m blind, I cannot and I won’t.

Let’s remember that “the joy of the Lord is [our] strength” (Nehemiah 8:10). Let’s also take comfort in the teachings of Jesus, who in John 15:11 said, “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.

When faced with the choice of self-pity or rejoicing in our adversities, let’s respond with rejoicing (2 Corinthians 7:4-7; Philippians 2:17; Colossians 1:24) .

"Be this the purpose of my soul,
My solemn, my determined choice:
To yield to God’s supreme control,
And in my every trial rejoice." —Anonymous

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments