Trivial Pursuits

Remember the game Trivial Pursuit? It is a board game in which progress is determined by a player’s ability to answer general knowledge and popular culture questions. I never could answer the ones on pop culture. We too play “trivial pursuit”….but not the board game. It’s a game of life and we play the trivial pursuit angle. We focus on the here and now, rather than the hereafter!

Of course we live in this present world. But oft times the present world becomes an end in itself. Our agnostic friends say….”when you’re dead your dead.” The Greek Epicureans felt the same. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow….guess what….you’re dead! (Luke 12:16-21).

It’s well and good to talk about heaven but in reality we try to stay around as long as possible. Nothing wrong in that. As Christians we know that life is a gift….but we must use that gift wisely. We don’t waste our precious days on “trivial pursuits.” I like to think that every moment is special. But when I get caught up with the nitty gritty things in life….washing machine overflows; the ice maker quits before the arrival of company; I am over drawn at the bank….these are my “trivial pursuits!

In reality, every agony of our life is within His knowledge. But if I remain close to Him and seek Him when the rough times come, I know my faith in Him will sustain me. The Lord said in Luke 6:46-49, ”Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.

That’s how it is with life. We all have our “trivial pursuits.” However, when we build our faith on God and His word then our “house” will withstand the storms of life. Trivial Pursuits….sure, we have them. But we also have Someone greater (1 John 4:4). —Barbara Hyland

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments