"It's Just My Luck"

One of the favorite expressions of many Americans is, “It’s just my luck.” This phrase is often used when an individual is incensed by an unpleasant happening. Sometimes we even say it in thoughtless conversation. The reasons for uttering this expression are endless. For example:

It’s just my luck…..” For me to fall and break my leg; For me to get run over by a car or truck; For my car not to start; For all my appliances to break down at the same time; For the roof to cave in; For my son or daughter to get kicked out of school; For the barber to cut my face with his sharp razor; For my bank to go broke; For my stocks and bonds to go belly up; For my dog to die.

Folks who use such negative language, are generally joking when they say such things. However, even though they may be joking, they are conveying to other people an ungrateful disposition or mindset called “murmuring” (griping and complaining). Paul cautions us not to possess this mindset (1 Corinthians 10:9-10; cf. Exodus 15:24; Exodus 16:1-2; Exodus 17:3; Numbers 14:2; Numbers 16:41). The individual who says, “It’s just my luck,” is conveying to others the idea that he never gets any breaks in life — that the only luck he ever receives is bad luck.

Let’s ask ourselves the following questions: Is it bad luck to live in the most prosperous nation that has ever existed on earth?; Is it bad luck to have money in the bank, no matter how small an amount it is?; Is it bad luck to have a roof over our head?; Is it bad luck to have two or more vehicles in our driveway?; Is it bad luck to have three square meals a day?; Is it bad luck to have a reasonable amount of good health?; Is it bad luck to have clothes for all four seasons?; Is it bad luck to have all of the latest and greatest electronic gadgets? And the most important question of all: Is it bad luck to have been blessed by circumstances where we could learn about the saving gospel of our Savior without fear of imprisonment or loss of life, when over a billion of earth’s people have never heard the gospel?

Dear reader, the next time we are ready to curse our adverse “luck,” let’s pause long enough to meditate upon the following inspired thoughts, and then express our thanks to the God of heaven for what He has provided us (James 1:17): “Let your conduct be without covetousness, and be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ’I will never leave you nor forsake you" (Hebrews 13:5); “having food and clothing, with these we shall be content” (1 Timothy 6:8); “in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments