"Pork Chop Wednesday"

Whenever I am not substituting for our local school district, I usually go to Monday morning breakfast at the "New Clock" restaurant here in northeast El Paso. This is the place where my Christian friends and I attempt to solve the world's problems in 2-1/2 hours or less.

Every Wednesday at noon, the restaurant serves up some of the best pork chops that I have ever laid my lips across. Not too much fat on the bone, but just enough to make the chops, oh, so juicy and tasty. Reminds me of the delicious pork chops my late mother used to make when my two brothers and I were growing up.

Even though there are no worldly problems solved on "pork chop Wednesday"; simply because I usually eat by myself  there are still many interesting people to observe who frequent the restaurant. Today, I saw folks who run the gamut of humanity. For example, an old ranch cowboy with a well-trimmed mustache coming in for a bite; old men with "hoary heads" (Leviticus 19:31; Proverbs 16:31 KJV) having a good conversation; a couple of young teen girls (who probably should have been in school), wearing revealing halter tops and shorts; several obese people, both men and women, young and old; and a couple of old men with tattered clothes, who looked like they might have been of the homeless variety.

If an individual had a mind to, he (or she) could probably write a best-selling novel just on the stories that all of the above folks could tell. This is why I love people  each one has their own personal story to tell, myself included — and some of them prove to be very, very interesting.

Dear reader, do you realize that we are daily writing the story of our lives? What kind of book will we be? As we interact with people in our daily walk, let's be a book that honors and glorifies God (Matthew 5:14-16), whether it's on "pork chop Wednesday" or any other day of the week.

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments