"Walk As Children Of Light"

For almost 70 years, my Aunt Lee lived confined in a wheelchair because of crippling rheumatoid arthritis (see video), yet she never once complained about her circumstances or condition. She was self-educated and well-versed in the Scriptures.

She once made this observation regarding God and her condition:

If God had told me that He was about to make me as happy as I could be in this world, and then told me that He should begin by crippling me in all my limbs, and removing me from all my usual sources of enjoyment, I should have thought it a very strange way of accomplishing His purpose. And yet, I now understand His wisdom made manifest in this crippling disease. For all these years confined in a wheelchair, I’ve felt like an individual in a closed room rejoicing only in the light of a set of lamps. However, God will one day make me truly happy by blowing out all the lamps and then throwing open the shutters to let in heaven’s glorious light” (Revelation 21:23; cf. Isaiah 60:19-20).

She passed from this life just a few weeks later and was in the presence of that Light (Ecclesiastes 12:7; cf. 2 Corinthians 5:8; Philippians 1:23).

When the candles that light up our darkness are blown out, let’s rejoice that God is throwing open shuttered windows and pouring in the sunshine of His redeeming grace, His great mercy, and His infinite love (2 Timothy 1:2,7).

In order that we too may see the true Light, let us, like my Aunt Lee, always “Walk as children of light” (Ephesians 5:8).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments