"Why Do Good People Suffer?"

The story is told of a teenage boy who struggled with a question that theologians have wrestled with for centuries. He was trying to understand why his mother had to have brain surgery, so he asked his mom, “Why do good people suffer?

She answered, “Son, suffering is part of living in a sin-cursed world, and good people suffer like anybody else. That’s why I’m glad we are Christians, because if I die, I’ll go to a better place and long for the day when I can see you again.” She then said that she could understand his frustration, but she told him not to put the blame on God.

God didn’t explain to Job why He allowed his sufferings to come upon him, but through it all, Job found out that God could be trusted to do what is right (Job 42:1-12). God has assured us in His Word that our Lord suffered on our behalf (Isaiah 53:4-6; 1 Peter 2:24), rose from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:20), and is now preparing a suffering-free place for us (John 14:1-3; Revelation 7:14-17; Revelation 21:3-4).

Beloved, like Job, let’s place our full trust and confidence in the eternal God of heaven to see us “through” life’s trials and tribulations (Job 13:15; cf. Proverbs 14:32; Psalm 23:4). Through the example of God’s servant Job, we know that He will (James 5:10-11; Job 42:10).

Why must I bear this pain? I cannot tell;
I only know my Lord does all things well.
And so I trust in God, my all in all,
For He will bring me through, whate’er befall. —Smith

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Related Articles:

Comments