Semper Fi!

When I think of the many veterans who have faithfully served our country throughout its long history, I can't help but think of the Marine Corps motto, "Semper Fidelis." That Latin phrase simply means, "always faithful."

When I think of that phrase, I think of the many soldiers in all branches of our military who willingly gave their lives for others, even when facing certain death  faithful to the end  heroes, every one.

Then I think of the brave men and women listed in the latter part of Hebrews 11 — those brave heroes of faith, who willingly gave their lives for others and for the Lord, even when facing certain death  faithful to the end  heroes, every one (Hebrews 11:23-40).

Our Lord said of such men and women: "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends" (John 15:13).

Then our Lord said: "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you" (John 15:14).

There's no question that evil thinking people in our world are becoming more evil every day (2 Timothy 3:13). And because of this fact, we as Christians will have to eventually endure some pretty severe persecution coming down the road (2 Timothy 3:11-12).

The questions we must ask ourselves are these: "Will I be willing to stay faithful to the Lord, even when looking into the very face of certain death?" (Revelation 2:10; cf. Matthew 10:22; Matthew 24:13). "Will I continue to be His friend, even under those circumstances? Will I be counted among those heroes of faith listed in Hebrews 11?"

I don't know about you, dear reader, but as for me:


Semper Fi!


 Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments