A Daily Prayer

Great God,
Make me decent, orderly, useful, courteous, and kind
In the work of this day.
Let me not weaken myself in anger, cheapen myself by boasting,
Or play the fool by lying.

Give me to remember that there are others in the world besides myself,
And that they are men like unto me.
Teach me to observe the rules of the game and to come through
Defeat victorious and out of victory unspoiled.

Let me be not unmindful of the gift of friend or foe
Because both are much of my own making.
For my own sake and for the sake of my comrades,
Keep me wholesome and cheerful.

And if the Devil of error should grip me at times,
Give me the good sense to go quietly along until the impulse to
Act wrongly has passed.
And at the end of each day, bring me to my bed with the knowledge

That greed and malice, envy and hatred have played a lesser part in my thinking
And that my weariness is the result of well-doing.
Amid life’s quest, there seems but one worthy thing,
to serve Thee and to do man good.

And may I ever do those things,
In Jesus’ name, Amen. —Author Unknown

Mike Riley,. Gospel Snippets

Comments