"Nothing In The World Can Take the Place Of Persistence"

While getting a few items at the local grocery store, a lady came up to me and told me about a discount grocery coupon for three pounds of strawberries that I had just placed in my grocery cart.

She told me that the discount coupon for three dollars off the regular price of six dollars could be found in an advertising flyer that the store promoted. I politely told her “thank you” and then continued down the grocery isle picking up more grocery items that I needed. I never gave the discount coupon any more thought.

All of a sudden, this same lady approached me again and asked me if I had gotten the discount coupon. I told her I hadn’t had the time to think about it too much since I was occupied with finishing my grocery shopping.

Then before I could get to the checkout stand, this same lady rushed up to me (for the third time) and gave me the newspaper containing the discount grocery coupon for the three pound strawberries, saving me three dollars at the checkout stand.

What really stood out in my mind regarding this lady, was that she was very determined and persistent in wanting me to have the three dollar savings on those three pound strawberries; so much so that she approached me three times, making sure that I received the discount coupon.

Wouldn’t it be great if we as Christians were just as determined and persistent in telling non-Christians about the saving gospel of Christ as this lady was in telling me about the discount grocery coupon?

President Calvin Coolidge once spoke these now-famous words:

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent” (source).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments