The Powerful Influence Of Our Lives

There’s no doubt in my mind that I’m a Christian today because of the godly influence of my parents and grandparents in my early childhood. They taught me not only by example, but from the Bible as well. Just as Timothy was reminded by Paul of the faith of his mother and grandmother (2 Timothy 1:5), so I too recall the faith of my grandmother. Because of her godly example, on January 1, 1960, I rendered obedience to my Lord in baptism (Acts 2:38).

Strong influences can also come from people outside our family. I once knew a young man who became a Christian because he saw Christ living in the life of our Bible class teacher (Gal. 2:20).

In Acts 16:16-34, we read that Paul and Silas sang and prayed in a Philippian jail at midnight. When an earthquake broke open the prison doors, the jailer was so terrified that he was about to commit suicide, but Paul stopped him.

Seeing that the prisoners did not try to escape, the jailer fell down trembling and asked, “What must I do to be saved?" (Acts 16:30). That day he and his entire household became Christians (Acts 16:32-33). Why? Because of the powerful influence of two men who were faithful to Christ.

The way we live does affect others – either for good, or for evil (contrast Genesis 18:17-19; 1 Samuel 2:22-25).

Beloved, this is a sobering and challenging truth that should influence the way we as Christians act and speak each day of our lives (Matthew 5:13-16).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments