Retire? What's That?

Since turning sixty years of age several years ago, I’ve had people in the workplace ask me from time to time “when” I was going to retire. Then I’ve had folks ask me “why” was I still working? (they thought I had retired years ago!).

After working for a temp agency for a few years, after being laid off from a major gas pipeline company in 1996, I’ve been employed as a substitute by one of our local school districts now for thirteen years; a little over two years full time and eleven years part time. Since God has greatly blessed me with relatively good health, a roof over my head and three square meals a day, why would I want to retire?

If you read any kind of news at all, you quickly realize that there is virtually over one billion poverty-stricken people in our world who don’t have the same privileges of employment and the God-given ability to work, so I am indeed thankful for His daily provision (Matthew 6:25-34).

Retire? What's That? (see article).

Dear reader, let's not ever retire especially from serving the Lord! If we’re a faithful Christian, we immediately realize that the God with whom we daily serve doesn’t have a retirement plan! (1 Corinthians 3:9-15; 1 Corinthians 15:50-58) — not even in heaven (Revelation 7:13-15; Revelation 22:3).

Beloved, this great blessing gives us a purpose and reason to get up out of bed every morning, thankfully and joyfully serving Him and our fellow man (Psalm 118:24). Let us continually be a blessing to others until He is ready to call us home (Matthew 5:14-16; 2 Timothy 4:1-8; cf. Philippians 2:12-18).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments