"Trusting In Him Who Can Go With Me"

On February 11, 1861, Abraham Lincoln left Springfield, Illinois, to become President of the United States. With the threat of The Civil War looming in the near future, he said goodbye to the friends and neighbors who had come to see him off.

He told them,

I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of the Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell” (source).

Lincoln’s reliance on God for guidance and strength, reflects the inspired instruction of Solomon:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6).

As the 16th President of the United States faced a challenging future with confident trust in the Lord, let us do the same.

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Related Articles:

Comments