"Our Outward Man Is Perishing"

As a ten-year-old boy, I used to be able to easily jump over a three-foot high chain link fence. I would walk up to that fence, put my hand on the fence post and nimbly jump it. But as I have grown older, I not only cannot jump that three-foot high fence any longer, there are some other strange things happening to me as well such as: Print in the Bible is getting much smaller; the light is dimmer; highway signs are more blurry; hills are steeper; belts are shorter; and shoes are moving farther away (shades of Ecclesiastes 12:1-7 NLT).

The apostle Paul must have alluded to some similar experiences, when he stated:

Therefore we do not lose heart even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day“ (2 Corinthians 4:16).

With regards to my getting older, I know Paul’s former statement in the above passage is true, and I pray to God daily that the latter statement is too.

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments