If Christ Were To Come On Wednesday Night

The following poem was written by brother Gus Nichols, faithful preacher of the gospel, now deceased. The questions the poem asks, are still questions we need to ask ourselves today, regarding faithful church attendance (also see article):

Where would I be on Wednesday night,
If the Lord should suddenly come:
At church in my place, or out of sight,
Just having some worldly fun?

Would I be with the good and true,
Or at home in my easy chair,
Too cold to be with the faithful few,
Who always go to the house of prayer?

Would I be singing with all my might,
And studying a lesson of great worth,
Or away from the church on mid-week night,
If Christ should come again to earth?

Would I be seeking strength for my soul,
And teaching those that are lost,
Or be rejecting the Savior of souls,
Who redeemed me at such an awful cost?

I may be at home with excuses enough,
But how would they look in His sight?
Would Jesus find me away from church,
If He should come on Wednesday night?

Jesus makes it sin to know and not do –
Not to help the church in the right,
Not to be with the church and the few,
Who faithfully meet on Wednesday night.

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments