The Power Of Purpose

Life should be about Purpose (notice I use a capital P). We all have goals in life…. whether it is acquisition of money in the bank, acquiring a new skill, or perhaps even getting ourselves “right” with God (Psalm 51:7-10). When we purpose….with sincerity and honesty….we seek to find God’s will for our lives. He opens some doors and closes others (Acts 16:7-12). We should be open to finding a purpose based on what we know the Lord requires of His disciples.

He doesn’t wake me up at night with a message about my purpose. Wish He did. Things might be easier that way. He lets me muddle through at times and finally, with a little push, I find my purpose. Some of my purposes or goals are long term….such being better equipped to “rightly divide” God’s word (2 Timothy 2:15 KJV). My Jewish friends feel that study and worship go hand in hand. When I study, I have a purpose. Study provides me with an opportunity to acquaint myself more fully with my Creator and to become more pleasing to him.

Other times my purposes are more short term. Now that I am on the short side of life, I need to purpose what I must do to prepare for leaving this world and entering the next one. Seems like a long-term purpose….but believe me, at my age….it’s short term!

So what’s my purpose….and yours….for today and tomorrow? I can’t answer for you but I am going to purpose to be more attuned to God’s working (Colossians 1:28-29; cf. Ephesians 2:10). How each day will present something unique just for me to do. Perhaps I will be reminded to make encouraging phone call; giving a smile to the little overworked waitress; helping the young mother unload a few groceries. Who knows? Nothing spectacular, but it will be meaningful.

Having a sense of purpose will put me to work. My good deeds will benefit both me as the giver and hopefully give encouragement to the receiver. So a purpose of the heart gives me a direction that I need for my Christian walk.

My Purpose will give me power (2 Corinthians 12:9; cf. 1 Peter 4:14). —Barbara Hyland, guest writer

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments