Our Society Is Loosing A Precious Commodity

Yesterday, as my stepson and I were headed to the church building for the evening worship service, I stopped at a stop sign before moving forward across a busy intersection. There was a young Hispanic man behind me in an old pickup.

As I slowly eased across the intersection, I heard the pickup rev up its engine and "boom" -- it came across the intersection by my driver's side at approximately 50 mph (about scared me to death!).

The young man was apparently frustrated because I wasn't moving fast enough across the intersection. My guess is that he didn't adhere to the wise philosophy that "speed kills." Perhaps he had a death wish (see article). Whatever his motivation, this writer is quickly learning not to impede the forward progress of others (especially when they are in a fast-moving motor vehicle), for you might get killed! (road rage).

Sad to say, but in this digital age, where everything that doesn't happen on an  "instantaneous" platform, is written off as being useless and worthless, our society is loosing a precious commodity; and that commodity is P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E (see definition #2). Also, see this article.

The wise Solomon records the following words of wisdom in Ecclesiastes 7:8-9 NLT:

"Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride. Control your temper, for anger labels you a fool" (cf. Proverbs 14:17,29; James 1:19).

'Nuff said (see definition #3).

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments