His Example

The following is a poem by Edgard A. Guest that emphasizes the fact that fathers are being watched very closely by their children every day of their lives as an example to pattern their lives after. Mr. Guest also wrote this poem as well. Fathers, let us be sure we "practice what we preach" (or teach) before our children by our godly example:

"There are little eyes upon you, and they're watching night and day;
There are little ears that quickly take in every word you say;
There are little hands all eager to do everything you do,
And a little boy that's dreaming of the day he'll be like you.

You're the little fellow's idol, you're the wisest of the wise;
In his little mind about you no suspicions ever rise;
He believes in you devoutly, holds that all you say and do
He will say and do in your way when he's grown up just like you.

Oh, it sometimes makes me shudder when I hear my boy repeat
Some careless phrase I've uttered in the language of the street;
And it sets my heart to grieving when some little fault I see
And I know beyond all doubting that he picked it up from me.

There's a wide-eyed little fellow who believes you're always right,
And his ears are always open and he watches day and night;
You are setting an example every day in all you do
For the little boy who's waiting to grow up to be like you" (source)  ---Edgar A. Guest

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Related Articles: here and here

Comments