The Benefits Of Talking To Yourself

While I’m not a psychologist, I have realized the benefits of talking to myself when I take long walks (also see here), or when I am just meditating on God’s word (Psalm 1:1-2). In fact, there are several Bible characters who talked to themselves (Psalm 77:6-7 NIV; Ecclesiastes 2:12,15; Ecclesiastes 4:8; 1 Samuel 13:12; Luke 12:17-18; Luke 15:17-19).

When I take long walks that are approximately an hour in duration, I find that talking to myself allows my mind to free itself of worldly distractions and helps me focus on spiritual things (Colossians 3:1-2). In fact, many of my blog articles are the result of thoughts that come into my mind while walking.

The following are some benefits I have found in talking to myself:
There are many other benefits in talking to yourself other than while walking (source 1; source 2; source 3; source 4).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments