3 Observations On My Morning Walk

On my morning walk this morning, I observed the following scenes:

1) Weeds in yards -- There were overgrown weeds in several yards that I walked by, due to the monsoon rains we have been experiencing over the past few weeks. The violation of overgrown weeds is ascertained by the ESD's Code Compliance Division. If the city has to clean up the property, the homeowner will be sent a bill for the cleanup costs (see here).

What's the solution? Keep weeds out of the yard. Preventive maintenance is the key.

2) More ants than normal on sidewalk (see articles here and here) -- Which caused me ask, "Can ants sense upcoming changes in seasons?" The following articles suggests they can due to changing atmospheric conditions: See here, here, and here.

We can learn a great deal from the simple observation of ants.

3) Dead atrophied dog in drainage ditch -- Since I am a dog lover, it saddens my heart whenever I see a stray dog. My practice is to immediately call the Animal Control folks and ask them to pick the dog up.

However, on this occasion, the particular dog's body that I found in a drainage ditch, had been atrophying for several days. There were no identifying tags on the dog, so the dog was either a stray dog, or possibly a pet that a family could no longer maintain.

I'm reminded of the scripture which states, "A righteous man regards the life of his animal, But the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel" (Proverbs 12:10). Also see here regarding the care of animals in the Bible.

Beloved, we can reap many benefits from walking and using the power of observation! Also, see articles here, here, here, and here.

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets


Comments