The Gift Of Letting Go

The following above titled poem was read at the funeral of one of our beloved elders, brother Darwin Carroll (1917-2007), by his son, John Carroll. Brother Carroll passed from this life on March 12, 2007. He was less than two months away from attaining 90 years of age. He left a lasting and godly legacy to his children and grandchildren. As a faithful soldier in God’s army, he is greatly missed:

The angels gathered near your bed
So very close to you
For they knew the pain & suffering
That you were going through

I thought about so many things
As I held tightly to your hand
Oh, how I wished that you were strong
And happy once again

But your eyes were looking homeward
To that place beyond the sky
Where Jesus held His outstretched arms
It was time to say good-bye

I struggled with my selfish thoughts
For I wanted you to stay
So we could walk & talk again
Like we did ~ just yesterday

But Jesus knew the answer
And I knew He loved you so
So I gave to you life’s greatest gift
The gift of letting go

Now my heart will carry memories
Of the love you gave to me
Until we meet again in Heaven
Where the best is yet to be—C. Johnson & J. Morse

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments