Not The "Reformed" Brand -- Just Give Me Jesus!

World Magazine writer, Andrée Seu, has written an article with the heading, “What’s in a Name?” In her article, she points out that putting labels on religious entities is confusing to the average man on the street.

Instead, we should have the fortitude to identify ourselves as simply a “Christian” (Acts 11:26; cf. 1 Peter 4:16). We can certainly add our  “Amen” to that statement.

Continuing, Ms. Seu makes the following statements and questions:

When I am asked to speak at retreats (which may be less after this), they want to know if I’m “Reformed.” Oh, I understand the question is just a shorthand way of ascertaining my orthodoxy. Any crackpot can say he loves Jesus. Still, which doctrine is it exactly that we fear? Is it Pelagianism? I admit I will talk to the women about pressing into Christ. Is it that I will have too much to say about the Holy Spirit? I promise to say only what’s in the Bible.

Ms. Seu goes on to say:

If habitually calling ourselves by our denominational names is not exactly what Paul rebuked in 1 Corinthians 1:12, then what is it? “I am of Wesley,” “I am of Calvin.” The Lord shared His heart with Isaiah: “This one will say, ‘I am the Lord’s,’ another will call on the name of Jacob, and another will write on his hand, ‘The Lord’s,’ and name himself by the name of Israel” (Isaiah 44:5). Will there be a day when no one will say, “I’m Baptist,” “I’m Lutheran,” “I’m Reformed.

Ms. Seu, it is our prayer that one day, folks in the denominational world will indeed give up their man-made labels and doctrines, and through willing obedience, conform their lives to the saving doctrine of Christ (2 John 1:9-10), becoming “just a Christian.”

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments