"Jesus Paid The Price, You Get To Keep The Change"

As I was driving to work one day, I noticed a church marquee sign with the above statement. Since I enjoy words and statements that motivate me to "think" ..... it took me a few days of meditating on what this statement might mean, in light of biblical teaching, in order to finally arrive at (what I believe is) the correct meaning.

At first glance, the statement didn't make any sense to me at all, until I focused on these two key words, "keep" and "change." I knew that the word "change" could not possibly refer to money, because that commodity cannot be kept, but will be "burned up" when the Lord returns (2 Peter 3:10-14 NET).

Then my mind immediately thought of 1 Corinthians 15:51-52 NET which states:

"Listen, I will tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed—in a moment, in the blinking of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed."

Note that the word "changed" is used twice in the above text along with the word "imperishable." Those folks who are "changed" from the "corruptible" to the "imperishable" when Jesus returns, shall get to "keep" that "change" forevermore (1 Corinthians 15:53-57 NET).

And it's all because of the miraculous resurrection (see here and here) of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ from the grave (1 Corinthians 15:12-20,56-57 ; cf. Matthew 28:1-8 NET).

Beloved, because "Jesus paid the price [for our sins], you [we] get to keep the change."

Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God" (Revelation 19:1 NET).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments