"In The Digital Age, There Is No Downtime" ---- Really?

As I read this article here, I noticed the above statement and added the word "Really" with a question mark. I will attempt to explain why I added that word in this article.

As most people who have kept up with my blog postings know, I have posted several articles relative to technology. As the writer of this article emphasizes, more people are getting away from having to lug a laptop around, to simply working from their smartphones. One writer uses her phone to dictate posts for her blog when she is on the go.

Julie Korman, a writer for Alcatel, tells us that "we live in the age of the 24/7 job" and that we are seemingly "on call" 24/7, even when we are attending our child's soccer game. My question is Really? With all of our "instant" communication devices, I'm still wondering where the person-to-person factor comes into to play? If there is no downtime from working 24/7, how does an individual form any kind of long-term relationship with other people when they are seemingly always online?

For example, I use Twitter as my only social media platform for posting my blog article links. But as for forming any kind of personal long-term relationships with other people, Twitter is a poor means for accomplishing such (and so is Facebook). Unless I've met folks in "real-time" ...... using Twitter for meeting and getting to know people, is simply like being in The Twilight Zone for me. There's the personal aspect of face-to-face interaction, that is severely lacking with online social media (see article here).

What's the bottom line? People have a great need for "real" conversation that just can't be found on any social media platform. Rather, we desperately need some "downtime" from the Internet and social media in order to develop long-term relationships, with the hope and possibility of converting other people to Christ. The Internet's missing link is the human one-on-one, face-to-face, eyeball-to-eyeball interaction.

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Note: Related Digital Articles

Comments