Why Is Christmas One Of The Most Difficult Times Of The Year To Study The Bible With People?

This morning I received an email from my good missionary friend in Brazil, Randal Matheny (his bio here), with him asking the above question.

The following is my response:

My belief (based upon the evidence that I’ve seen in my lifetime) as to why it’s more difficult to promote the spiritual this time of year, reflects the same sentiments as the first few lines of William Wordsworth’s poem (see here):

The first line of that poem states: “The world is too much with us ....." The fourth line of that poem states:  "We have given our hearts away ....."

These two lines just about sums it up. Folks have given their hearts away to the world and worldly pursuits (that which is material) rather than the spiritual (Matthew 6:33; Colossians 3:1-4). Life is all about setting priorities (see here and here).

And then I added:

I’m afraid that the Lord is not going to ask me on Judgment Day, “Mike, how many toys did you accumulate during your lifetime on earth?” ..... but rather, “Mike, what did you do for Me and My cause?” (Matthew 25:34-40) ..... remembering that "only what's done for Christ will last".

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments