Having "Too Many Irons In The Fire"

This morning, I texted my lady friend who still works in the mail room of our local school district, to see whether or not she was available for us to have breakfast together on the upcoming Labor Day holiday (a possible date in time that we made a week ago). She returned my text stating that she would not be able to come to breakfast due to other commitments.

While I respected her reason for not being able to keep our possible breakfast date, I thought about the old idiom repeated to me many times by my late father regarding the inability of people to keep scheduled appointments, "Mike, they have too many irons in the fire" ("doing too many things at once" - source).

Here is another definition and possible origin.

Beloved, sometimes we stretch ourselves too thin by trying to do too many things at once because of time limitations (an impossible task - see here).

What's the solution to the above problem?

Setting priorities, thus keeping our lives simple and less stressful.

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments