Being Comfortable In Our Own Skin

There's no question in this writer's mind that I feel more comfortable when I associate myself with people who are comfortable in their own skin (see definition).

As we display a relaxed confidence in ourselves and our ability to interact with other people, we give off the aura of being self-confident.

As an example, our preacher and his wife are presently having some health issues. A month ago, he asked me if I would fill in for him at the pulpit for two successive Sundays, and I told him it would be a privilege to do so. Last Lord's Day was my last scheduled sermon and was looking forward to hearing him speak this coming Sunday, July 19th.

However, as circumstances sometimes rapidly change, the preacher's wife has been scheduled for noninvasive colon cancer surgery sometime next week. Once again the preacher asked for volunteers to fill in for him this coming Lord's Day morning. Sadly, no man volunteered (they didn't feel comfortable in their own skin). So, I told the preacher that I had already prepared a sermon for next Sunday just in case he (or his wife) was absent because of health issues (I firmly believe in the Boy Scout motto of being prepared for any contingency).

Beloved, if we are comfortable in our own skin, we will always be ready for any opportunity to teach and preach the gospel (Galations 6:10). For once the open door of opportunity is shut ..... (see article).

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments