The Secret To Saving Money

As I was talking to my good retired friend, Arnetta this morning at the YMCA, before getting my tax return sent off to the IRS, we somehow started discussing finances. Arnetta talked about the fact that it was difficult for her to save money because she had a tendency to spend it.

She then revealed to me that she wasn't going to leave too much money to her children after her demise, because they would just spend it on foolish things. She figured that if she earned that money the old fashioned way (hard work!), she had the right spend that money as she wanted to.

She then confessed that her parents had not educated her on how to properly manage her finances when she was growing up as a young child. I then asked her, "Arnetta, do you know the secret to saving money?" (it's not a secret!). She confessed she didn't know. I told her that the secret to saving money, is to not spend the money! (especially on foolish and unnecessary things). If you don't spend the money, you can put it in some kind of savings account, and collect interest on the principal, thus making more money.

Then I told her about the old Ben Franklin saying, "A penny saved is a penny earned" (source). She laughed and told me that her tendency to spend her money the way she wanted, wasn't going to change, so I told her this story, and she couldn't believe it.

Beloved, remember that as we walk "by faith" with God (Hebrews 11:4,5,7,8,9,17,20,22,23,24,27,30,31; Romans 10:17), every penny counts!

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Related Article: here

Comments