Do We Really Need A Dictator?

When I was still a young boy growing up under my father's tutelage, he would tell me, "Mike, this country will one day have to be run by a dictator, because people are so dumb (like sheep), they don't want to think, so they will have to have someone to think for them."

As I read this USA Today article, about another law being passed in Honolulu banning the use of cellphones while crossing the street, I thought to myself, "how right he may have been."

Beloved, we don't need any more useless man-made laws passed. What we need is more common sense (see article) and the ability to "think" for ourselves. If folks don't want to think for themselves, all of the laws in the world won't forcibly make them think.

However, if we violate God's laws, there are eternal consequences to our not wanting to think (Galations 6:7-8; cf. Romans 6:23). 

Do we really need a dictator? No, but we do need a love for God, which will promote our willing obedience to God's laws (Romans 6:17-18) which are for our benefit (Deuteronomy 6:24-25; 10:12-13; cf. 1 John 5:1-3),

Now let's "think" about that!

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments