"May I Always Be The Kind Of Person My Dog Thinks I Am"

The above quote is taken from a picture of a miniature dachshund that my late wife placed on our icebox via a magnet many years ago. Every day that I look at the picture, I'm reminded of our little Abbie, who God allowed us to enjoy for a little over fourteen years.

Abbie was the joy of our life, and in her mind, thought she was just as human as we were. She loved to go walking, as well as for me rolling her ball down the hallway. Time after time, she would run down the hallway, pick up the little ball with her mouth, and proudly return it for me to throw over and over again, until she was literally out of breath, ready to relax in one of our living room chairs (yes, she was spoiled!).

We had trained Abbie to alert us when she needed to relieve herself, providing a special place in our garage just for that purpose. Many times, when my wife and I would be fast asleep, Abbie would slowly come out from under the bed covers, placing her little wet nose on my neck, which would tell me that she needed to go to the garage. Once through with her business, I would gently place her back under the covers, where she would quickly go back to sleep.

This writer has often thought about the above titled quote, wondering if I lived up to Abbie's expectations of me. Loving her the way my wife and I did, providing for her every need, I truly believe our little dog fully understood our love for her by the love she demonstrated to us. When she passed away in January, 2012, it was truly a great loss, for in her brief life, she demonstrated similar characteristics that our Lord demonstrated during His earthly ministry (see here).

Beloved, if we have been blessed with a faithful and loving dog, may we always be the kind of person our dog thinks we are (see video).

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Related Articles: here, here, herehere, here, and here


Comments