Crazy Like A Fox

Foxes have interesting personalities. So interesting in fact, as to the point of being charming. From this website, comes the following description of these charming carnivores:

"Appealing, cerebral and of average size, the fox is a close relative of both the wolf and dog personalities and displays typical canine qualities of loyalty, passion and creativity. Largely misunderstood to be a shy, retreating individual, it's the fox's unique stature as a small carnivore that defines its survival strategy. Because it cannot succeed in the world using brute force alone, it must rely on its sharp mind and engaging personality to garner resources. Consequently it spends a lot of time in its head, giving the impression that it's trying to outsmart its friends. The fox is often surprised to learn that its intellectual pursuits are intimidating."

Over the years, this writer has been called "crazy" more times than not (don't we have to be just a little "crazy" to live and successfully function in these perilous times?). Not long ago, the next door neighbor's landscaper (goes by the name of Charles), observed me working in my backyard, removing weeds and stickers, so I wouldn't have the city of El Paso trying to fine me for having weeds too tall (must be shorter than 12 inches).

Charles called me "crazy" ...... thinking that at my age, I should be taking it easy, rather than having to bend and dig weeds out of my yard. I gently told him, that (1) it wouldn't take me too long to get the weeds out of the small yard (about an hour), and (2) that it would benefit me to exercise my muscles and do a little sweating in order to keep my weight down to a reasonable level (went from 175# to 158# in just three months by exercising, walking and eating healthy food containing very little starches, sugars, or fats).

This writer was crazy like a fox in that I was performing my own yard work, and thus depriving Charles of getting paid for doing it. Like the fox in the above description, I wasn't trying to outsmart Charles, but I was trying to use a little common sense (i.e., having a "sharp mind" - see above fox description) in saving the money Charles would have received had I used his landscaping services.

Beloved, sometimes in life, we have to be crazy like a fox (see here).

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments