Making A Covenant With Our Eyes

While taking my afternoon walk today, there was a young woman who ran passed me on the sidewalk. She was in her middle 20's to early 30's, and was dressed with the tightest spandex body suit that I have ever seen.

You could see every crack and crevice in this young woman's body, including the twisting and turning of her derriere as she ran. Obviously, this young woman had neither shame nor decorum, in the way she was displaying her body for all to see.

In my younger years, her graphic bodily display would have possibly tempted me to lust after her feminine attributes, but at the elderly age of 73+ years, thankfully that temptation is all but gone (Ecclesiastes 12:5 TLB). Additionally, as Job did, I made a covenant with my eyes (Job 31:1 TLB) years ago, not to look on a woman lustfully (Matthew 5:27-28). I also follow Paul's instructions found in 1 Corinthians 9:27 ESV, regarding the disciplining of my body, lest I too should be disqualified.

To the young people reading this article, let me encourage you to make a similar covenant with your eyes as Job did, not allowing temptation to cause you to "sin against God" (Genesis 39:7-12). If young David would have made such a covenant with his eyes, before looking on the beautiful Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11:1-2), he would more than likely not have committed the sins of adultery and murder.

Remember that how we dress (or the lack thereof), reflects our inward thinking.

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Related Articles:

Comments